[aur-general] Moving noip from [community] to AUR

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Sat Aug 2 11:41:15 EDT 2014

Do not do this.

The noip client is GPL licensed F/OSS software (it's right there in
the COPYING file in the tarball).  Just because it connects to a
commercial service does not mean it deserves to be removed from the
official package repository.  Take, for example, various GMail
clients, Chromium (re:Google Sync and various google services),
various AWS/EC2/S3 clients/libraries in [extra]/[community], etc.

Additionally, while I don't use noip, some users want choices.  Would
you remove vim just because emacs exists?  You should not remove it on
the grounds that there are alternatives.  (Let's not make judgments on
which is better - you wouldn't want to start a vim vs emacs debate
here.)

Ido