[aur-general] AUR GIT and Bug Tracker

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Sun Aug 17 11:50:54 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Doug Newgard <scimmia at archlinux.info> wrote:
> On 2014-08-17 15:26, SpinFlo wrote:

>>> Hi everyone,
>>>

>>> i heard that something like a bug tracker/GIT for the packages in AUR
>>> is planned, and i've become curious how the state of it is
>>

>> like this? http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/tree/
>

> No, he means like this:
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/2014-June/002770.html
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/2014-June/002789.html

Seeing the discussion about using info/alternates to store git objects
for all repos in one place, it sounds a lot like they're reinventing
the wheel...  Git integration would be fantastic, but I'd strongly
suggest that AUR devs not reinvent the wheel - let GitHub or BitBucket
or Gitorious, etc. do the Git hosting for you, and do actions based on
web-hooks[1], which most git hosts support.

[1] https://developer.github.com/webhooks/

PS: I already maintain all of my PKGBUILDs in one git repository on
GitHub (https://github.com/ido/packages-archlinux).  If the git
integration supports GitHub (or even if not), I would then switch to
adding each of the packages as git submodules to my master project
(which would include a vagrantfile and my build environment)...making
my package build environment reproducible for any other packagers/AUR
users.