[aur-general] AUR GIT and Bug Tracker

mrlemux at gmail.com mrlemux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 04:01:28 EDT 2014

On 08/18/2014 12:57 AM, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 at 00:21:41, Ido Rosen wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Johannes Löthberg
>> <johannes at kyriasis.com> wrote:

>>> Because then we'd either need two repos per package or one repo that had the
>>> bug reports of all the AUR packages, both would be rather bad solutions.
>>
>> Why would comments and bugs need to be managed in Git to begin with?
>> GitHub and other services do sometimes have a handy issues.git
>> repository (e.g. I can clone
>> http://github.com/ido/packages-archlinux.issues.git ), but I don't
>> think the backing store is Git in those cases...?  Having a Git
>> interface to that data is handy but does imply having a separate "git
>> repo".  Using Git as a backing store for comments/bugs might be
>> inelegant/not very KISS.  Also, to delete a comment in the comment
>> history if it's maintained in Git would you resort to a
>> non-fast-forward update?
>>
>> Don't interpret my questions as discouragement, just seems like using
>> Git for *everything* is a bit myopic.
>>

> I never suggested to manage comments or bugs in Git. However, when using
> a service like GitHub, repositories and tickets are coupled together. If
> we do not want to make use of GitHub's issue tracker (and pull requests
> and all the other features) we do not gain anything. You suggested to
> search for an existing service in order to not reinvent the wheel. What
> is the point of using such a service if we do not use the wheel at all?

the problem is that most issue tracking systems are too heavy for our
uses(correct me if i'm wrong), and if we want it really KISS we have to
implent an issue tracking system ourselves (with a feature base like
github's one). i think it could replace the current comment section as
it is mostly used for reporting Bugs already