[aur-general] Should we recommend removing comments from the AUR?

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Mon Dec 1 17:31:32 UTC 2014

This seems like a hack, why not just use a real issue tracker?  For
example, I use GitHub Issues to track issues related to my AUR
packages, and then the AUR comments become something more like a News
page for that package.

I thought there was a plan for AUR to move to something more
VCS-oriented for tracking changes in PKGBUILDs (i.e. AUR git hosting),
and that might come with issue-tracker-like capabilities, but I'm not
sure what the state of that is currently or who is working on it.
Maybe TUs/devs can chime in as that may solve this use case for
comments on its own?

(NB: If the intention would be to make maintainers able to remove
comments, then there are many packages without maintainers where
people "adopt, update, orphan" when there's an update - it'd be
important to protect those packages against automated
mass-comment-removals by malicious third party.)