[aur-general] requesting a critique for my build of xen-git-4.5.0-rc3

Marcel Korpel marcel.korpel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 15:54:04 UTC 2014

* Doug McMillan <dlm1065 at hotmail.com> (Sat, 13 Dec 2014 23:32:05 -0600):
> To have a safer more reliable place I made a sourceforge project.
> The xen files are
> herehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/xenforarch/files/build/xen/ The
> package I am asking for the critique on
> ishttps://sourceforge.net/projects/xenforarch/files/build/xen/xen-git-4.5_rc3.tar.gz/

First of all, you should name this package xen-git, as you're using the
most recent git version of that package.

Second, this is an old way to pull git sources (i.e., manually). Since
pacman 4.1 you can let the package builder pull git sources. See the
wiki [1] and an example PKGBUILD [2]. Please modify your PKGBUILD
accordingly.

Third, don't use md5sums to check file integrity; to avoid collisions,
it is recommended that you use sha256sums. You can set this
in /etc/makepkg.conf (and then you can use updpkgsums to generate them).

You should enclose every instance of $pkgdir within quotes, to allow
for spaces in directory names.

Minor detail, but why are you cd'ing to "$srcdir/$_gitname" and then
cd'ing to ../../? That's superfluous. Just cd to "$srcdir" and you'll
be able to install files included in the source array. The same is true
for that cd at the end of 'make install' block.

Please rework the PKGBUILD and post it at Github gist or Pastebin, so
it's easy for all of us to have a look at it.

Just another note: please don't top-post *and* remove lines you're not
referring to. And you know you should create source tarballs with
mkaurball[3] nowadays, don't you? Otherwise you won't be able to upload
your package to the AUR.

Regards,
Marcel

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_PKGBUILD_Guidelines
[2]
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gt/gtk-engine-murrine-git/PKGBUILD
[3] this will be changed in the (near?) future, when pacman supports
the generation of .SRCINFO files