[aur-general] AUR 4 => Migrating 1 git to git-per-package

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Tue Dec 30 00:58:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Ido Rosen <ido at kernel.org> wrote:
> git help subtree.
>
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Phillip Smith <fukawi2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For those of us already storing our packages in git[0], has anyone got some
>> documentation/pointers for how to handle migrating from having 1 big git
>> repository to dozens of individual git repositories?
>>
>> Do we just blat away our current repository and re-initialize each package
>> as it's own repository or is there a smarter way?

"git help subtree", but to clarify further: I do this right now in
https://github.com/ido/packages-archlinux

...I have a script prepared using git subtree and a filter-branch
command to split out the /aur directory in that repo into multiple
packages.  I'm testing it locally.  The best part is that I can still
maintain the individual package repos separately from the main one,
and keep a separate git repository with all my individual repos as
submodules, then just use "git submodule foreach git subtree pull
--squash" (or similar) to update all the packages at once and only if
those subfolders were changed in the one-big-repository
(ido/packages-archlinux.git)