[aur-general] Packaging question

Andrew DeMaria ademariad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 01:02:53 EST 2014

Hi all!

So say I have package A which is installed with a "Drivers" folder under
/usr/lib/PACKAGE_A/.  This package then would have an optional
dependency on another standalone library (pakage B) to provide a certain
driver.  To make package A work properly with the optional package B,
either a symlink or direct copy of a libBBB.so file needs to be made. i.e.

/usr/lib/PACKAGE_A/Drivers/libBBB.so -> /usr/lib/PACKAGE_B/libBBB.so

So my question is, what is the best way to make this happen?  Do I
provide a *.install file for PACKAGE_A that tries to see if PACKAGE_B
exists and then link the files if so?  What should happen if PACKAGE_B
is installed after PACKAGE_A?

For reference PACKAGE_A is openni2
(https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openni2) and PACKAGE_B is
libfreenect-git (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libfreenect-git/).
Currently they are not tied to each other, but I would like to make it
possible for openni2 to optionally? depend on a driver provided by
libfreenect.

Regards,
Andrew