[aur-general] Plymouth packaging suggestions requested from TUs

Padfoot padfoot at exemail.com.au
Tue Feb 25 05:44:45 EST 2014

Hi,

I am the current maintainer of the AUR packages:

plymouth-release https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plymouth-release/
plymouth-git https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plymouth-git/

plymouth-release is at version 0.8.8 on
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/plymouth/releases/ and is working
plymouth-git at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/cgit/plymouth/ is currently
broken

While investigation the plymouth-git breakage, I found source for
plymouth-0.8.9 in Fedora Rawhide nightlies.
0.8.9 builds and works correctly, but as it is from the Fedora Rawhide
nightlies, the source is subject to frequent changes.

I am seeking suggestions of what I could/could not should/should not do
with the 0.8.9 package.

I could update plymouth-release to this package, but it is not an
"official" release.
I could temporarily replace plymouth-git with this package until git is
working, but it's not really a git source.
I could upload a new plymouth-rawhide package, but I don't want to spam
the AUR with yet another version unnecessarily.

FInally I could just do nothing and wait until the "official" update to
the source on http://www.freedesktop.org/software/plymouth/releases/

Bear in mind, as the sources are from Fedora Rawhide nightlies, I have
embeded the source archive in the package to prevent breakage from
frequent updates. The package size including the source is 1.2MB.

Of course, I would like to share this updated (as of Feb 2014) source
with the Arch community, but under the circumstances, I think advice on
how to proceed from the TUs is warranted.

Thanks.
Lachlan.