[aur-general] Using old package name for new software

Fabien Dubosson fabien.dubosson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:14:15 EST 2014

Hello,

I just discovered a tool called `q` [1] and I have done a PKGBUILD to
try it. As it can be a useful to someone else, I was going to push it to
AUR.

But there exists already a package called `q` [2] (yeah, 26 letters are
not enough for all packages) so the usual way is to call the new one
otherwise regarding to its function. But in this particular case I think
it worth a reflexion; Regarding to the fact that:

- The package is orphan

- There is no vote for the package

- There is no comment on the package

- The package doesn't build anymore, at least on my computer

- The upstream project was named `q-lang` [3]

- There is a similar AUR package (correctly) named `q-lang` [4] which
provides the same software with same version.

- The upstream project is announced «no longer supported» [3] and
replaced by `pure` [5] which has also its own AUR package [6].

A) It is allowed to replace the existing `q` package with a completely
different software?

B) If yes, what is the best way to do it:

  - Adopt it, then push a new PKGBUILD

  - Ask for deletion, then push a new one. (May be useless here: no
comment/vote, but still "first submitted date" field will remain)

>From what I know, the only noticeable effect will be for the people who
have tho existing software installed and use an AUR helper: during an
update, a message can indicate that their package is more recent than
the AUR one. Eventually the day when the version of the new software
will be higher than the old one, the old software will be replaced by
the new one. But the probability of people still using it is very low I
think.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Fabien