[aur-general] RFC on the location of PHP "binaries"

Attila Bukor r1pp3rj4ck at w4it.eu
Fri Feb 28 08:35:07 EST 2014

Hey guys,

I'm the maintainer of the phpunit[1] package and I've talked about my idea
with Dylan Ferris, maintainer of the php-composer[2] package.

The idea is that we should find a standard place for PHAR's which are
installed by pacman instead of PEAR. Of course it's obvious that we should
omit the ".phar" part and put it in /usr/bin, but there are two problems
with it. First, if open_basedir is used in php.ini, it has to contain
/usr/bin. The other problem is that IDE's won't see them that way and cannot
be used as external libraries (which is mostly fine with composer, but
absolutely not with phpunit).

So to solve this problem, I suggest to put these packages to
/usr/share/webapps/phar or /usr/share/php with the .phar extension so the
IDE's could use them and symlink them to /usr/bin without the extension so
they could be invoked from command line as any other program.

The default open_basedir in the php package is
"/srv/http/:/home/:/tmp/:/usr/share/pear/:/usr/share/webapps/", so the
former path would be more convenient, but the latter would be more elegant
in my opinion, as PEAR packages are in /usr/share/pear/. Of course it would
be nice to include that path in the default open_basedir.

What do you think?

Regards,
Attila Bukor

[1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/phpunit/