[aur-general] Promoting use of .AURINFO

Anton Larionov diffident.cat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 15:05:39 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 04:11:14PM +0100, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 at 15:51:48, Anton Larionov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was under the impression that .AURINFO was introduced to override some
> > fields in PKGBUILD when they are written in format which can't be properly
> > displayed by AUR (or maybe I've missed something). But why do you want to
> > force it's usage for all packages? In most cases AURINFO will just
> > duplicate same fields from PKGBUILD.
>
> The long-term plan is to use it for all AUR packages, improve the format
> and finally make it an official feature of makepkg(8) (the file will
> probably be called .SRCINFO then but we're far from there). See my other
> reply to Sebastien for some reasons on why it should be used.
>

> > Also I have some questions about it's format:
> >
> > 1) If package has different dependencies for 86_64 and 686, what should I
> >    put in depend array?
>
> Good question. This cannot be answered properly, though, since
> dependencies actually are a property of the binary package and not a
> property of the source package. Maybe we should loosen the format for
> dependencies of source packages and allow optdep-like comments?
> Something like:
>
>     depends = foo
>     depends = bar
>     depends = foobar: x86_64 only
>
> Just an idea. Comments welcome.
>

> > 2) Which 'pkgname' will be unique - from PKGBUILD or AURINFO? E.g if I
> >    upload package with name 'foo' and overriden name 'bar' will someone
> >    be able to upload new package with name 'foo'? Or 'bar'?
>
> Only the information from .AURINFO will be used. You can already trick
> the AUR into reading a completely different name from the PKGBUILD than
> it actually produces (and that problem is unavoidable), so that isn't a
> (new) issue.

I've created shell-helper which generate srcpkg, add .AURINFO and upload it.
Haven't really tested it much yet.

https://gist.github.com/diffycat/8389617

And I don't think that many people will start adding .AURINFO until it's
creation will be supported in makepkg. Like you start `makepkg --source`,
then it's search for existing .AURINFO (or .SRCINFO) or generate it from
corresponding fields in pkgbuild, print it and allow to edit before
packaging.

--

Regards,
Anton Larionov