[aur-general] Promoting use of .AURINFO

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sun Jan 12 18:12:18 EST 2014

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 at 21:17:29, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> [...]
> So the official goal is to have it generated as part of makepkg -S?

Yes, but the requirements for makepkg(8) inclusion are much higher than
what we need for the AUR and it doesn't look like there is someone who
wants to deal with them right now.

> Because I see that as the only way the format will get popular: if
> it's nobody's problem.

So having to invoke `makepkg --source && addaurinfo` instead of the
usual `makepkg --source` is a problem? And it still is a problem if you
add a line like

    alias mkaurpkg='makepkg --source && addaurinfo'

to your shell rc file and use `mkaurpkg` to build AUR packages (the
names are all made up)? Sorry, but that's nonsense.

The current AUR PKGBUILD parser is a dead-end. We have several bug
reports and adding more workarounds makes no sense at this point. Also,
having some kind of metadata makes some of our future plans easier to
implement. Why should we refuse to switch to a system that is much
cleaner and (almost) just as convenient as the former method?