[aur-general] Promoting use of .AURINFO

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Mon Jan 13 10:26:18 EST 2014

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 at 14:24:58, Martti Kühne wrote:
> It may sound like two dumb or unrelated ideas, but I figure they would
> become relevant to the discussion at one point anyway. So, let's look
> at the question we're avoiding all the time: What is the problem with
> PKGBUILDs? That it's not limited to a subset of sh?

It cannot be parsed without full execution. Theoretically, a PKGBUILD
can contain something like

    pkgname="$(echo foo | sed 's/o/a/' | awk '{ print "b", $0, "r" }' | tr -d ' fo')"

and something even fancier.

> There seem to be regularly efforts appearing and disappearing to clean
> that mess up on the initial side of the problem, which could render
> this .AURINFO / .SRCINFO ballet unnecessary.
>
> How about creating a parseable and functionally equivalent
> "PKGBUILD.gen" from PKGBUILD?

So, you're basically evaluating all PKGBUILD variables on the client
side, then print them into a file called "PKGBUILD.gen"? That's exactly
what .AURINFO is, except it has another file name.