[aur-general] Promoting use of .AURINFO

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 04:02:51 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:46:12PM +0000, Jerome Leclanche wrote:

>> > Fair enough... I assumed when I mentioned split packages and referenced
>> > Allan's post that it was understood I was going outside of the current
>> > .AURINFO format (which is far too simplistic to be of value in the long
>> > term).
>>
>> Do you have some example .AURINFO files you can post to the list? I've been
>> dealing with domain-specific packaging a lot the past month and I'm
>> very interested in a potential solution to all this.
>
> Clone my repo and run './reflect /path/to/PKGBUILD'. If you have an
> ABS tree cloned into /var/abs, you can just run './reflect $repo/$pkg'.

I should have said: do you have some exotic examples of packages that
showcase the full functionality :)

If you're going to change the format, may I advise going with the
ini/conf format? It's very simple to implement, and in python it's
already handled by the configparser module.
It would require one change: duplicate keys result in undefined
behaviour. I would recommend going with the same "list" syntax that
xdg defines for its ini files: list values are separated by a
semicolon.
So it could look something like this:

[pkgbase python34]
pkgdesc = Next generation of the python high-level scription language
pkgver = 3.4.0b2
pkgrel = 1
url = http://www.python.org/
makedepends = tk;sqlite;valgrind
depends = expat;bzip2;gdbm;openssl;libffi;zlib
optdepends = "tk: for tkinter";sqlite

[pkgname python34]
pkgdesc = Next generation of the python high-level scription language
url = http://www.python.org/
license = custom
depends = expat;bzip2;gdbm;openssl;libffi;zlib
optdepends = "tk: for tkinter";sqlite

J. Leclanche