[aur-general] Remove a few packages

Nowaker enwukaer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 09:31:28 EST 2014

Hey,

>> The gemname is 'rubysdl' http://rubygems.org/gems/rubysdl, the package
>> name should be 'ruby-$gemname'. The question should go to upstream
>> developers - why do they use "ruby" prefix in their gem names if the
>> gems are for ruby only anyway.

> Well, sometimes upstream is wrong, it does not mean we should follow them
> blindly.

The project name is "Ruby/SDL", and gem name is "rubysdl". We should not
say the upstream is wrong - there's no place to be right or wrong here.
It's how they named the library and we should respect this.

There is no "sdl" gem in rubygems.org repo, so anyone can upload a gem
by that name at any time. "ruby-sdl" in AUR should be reserved to "sdl"
gem only, so I agree with anatolik (OP).

But this is just an ideological argument... Practically, anatolik is a
maintainer of ruby-sdl and his gems in AUR follow his own guideline of
ruby-$gemname. [1] This is also an official guideline. [2] Although
these guidelines have recently been edited by anatolik, the very first
version of these guidelines [2] also say the naming convention is
ruby-$gemname. Therefore, anatolik shouldn't be denied the package
rename/merge regardless of anyone finding the package name silly. ;-)

[1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=anatolik&SeB=m&O=250&PP=50
[2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ruby_Gem_Package_Guidelines
[3]:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Ruby_Gem_Package_Guidelines&diff=64416&oldid=64415