[aur-general] Remove a few packages

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:39:07 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Maxime Gauduin <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Maxime Gauduin <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> package

>> them

>> not

>> "sdl" gem

>> these
>> version of
>> regardless

>> call a

>> I'm
>> approve
>> when
>> hyphen,

>> > Oh, as for someone uploading a sdl gem, although higly unlikely, could
>> be a
>> > rewrite of the current implementation. Then, and only then,
>> 'ruby-rubysdl'
>> > could be justified.
>>
>> I created a thread called "Ruby gem packages in Arch" please continue
>> discussion there. I've put my arguments in the first message
>> 1) avoid name collisions
>>

> Who in their right mind would upload foo and ruby-foo and/or rubyfoo on
> rubygems.org at the same time? Say someone did, I now know for a fact it's
> possible because people seem to consider it, even then, how often will you
> face this case, 2, maybe 3 times? I'm not sure adding a few exceptions in a
> script is that hard.
>

>> 2) make ruby packages maintenance more scriptable
>>

> If you can't be bothered, why not use rubygem directly?
>
> That said, sth along the lines:
>
> IF application THEN strip '^ruby-' from $gemname (keep ruby if there's no
> hyphen, as in rubyripper for example)
> ELSE strip '^ruby' or '^ruby-' then prepend 'ruby-' to $gemname
>
> Add to this a fairly simple list of gems which are actually applications
> and BAM, there is your script. BTW, seems like pretty basic script stuff to
> me.
>

>> If nobody wants to merge 'ruby-sdl' then I am fine, I'll just disown
>> it and let somebody else maintain it.
>>

> Why start a discussion then, if your answer to "I don't agree with you" is
> "Fine, still I'll do what I want and make AUR even more of a joke than it
> already is by having duplicate crap and ridiculous names"?
>
> Anyway, have fun doing as you please, I'm not starting a one-man crusade
> here, I have more important stuff to do.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Maxime

Maxime, if I were you I would avoid trying to outsmart upstream.
Otherwise you end up in the same situation as python currently is in.

Upstream packages are commonly called %s or python-%s or py%s. In any
of those cases, they are often imported as %s or py%s.
Arch Linux disregards duplications and simply calls *all* packages
python-%s. This makes the most sense and Anatol is trying to follow
the same naming rule which is very sensible.

J. Leclanche