[aur-general] Dropping laptop-mode-tools to AUR

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celticmadman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 15:48:38 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Daniel Landau <daniel.landau at iki.fi> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Patrick Burroughs (Celti)
>> <celticmadman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And the udev rule works! Now I can completely do away with
>> laptop-mode-tools.
>>
>> For the curious, I used:
>> SUBSYSTEM=="power_supply", ATTR{status}=="Discharging",
>> ATTR{capacity}=="5", RUN+="/usr/bin/systemctl hybrid-sleep"
>>
>> This should work for any laptop that emits battery uevents at a
>> reasonable rate; mine didn't seem to at first, but started sending one
>> per 1% drop after it dropped below 15% or so, so if you want to test
>> it you may be waiting a while.
>
> That's cool! Do you think this would fit somewhere in the Wiki or as an AUR
> package?

A wiki article seems best, so that people can adjust the type of sleep
and percentage chance to best suit their laptop.

> Are you sure you want hybrid-sleep instead of plain hibernate: both
> will save your state to disk but with hybrid-sleep you run the risk of
> running your battery all the way down, which supposedly isn't healthy for
> the battery
> (http://www.pcworld.com/article/191574/long_live_your_laptop_battery.html).

There is a small danger of that, but my laptop uses little enough
power when suspended that that 5% charge will give me hours to plug it
back in. The hybrid sleep is just a final failsafe and the hibernate
part should never actually be needed.

Regards,
~Celti