[aur-general] move sc and python2-mrjob to [community]

Alexander Rødseth rodseth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:23:16 EDT 2014

Hi,

>>but it's a problem if it has indeed not been updated since 2002
>
> Simple question: why?

Simple answer: It's not. Not by itself.

The reasons lie in the parts I wrote that was snipped away. It is not
a problem in itself that the available files has not been updated
since 2002, but the sum of the earlier provided reasons were enough to
remove it from [community].

I can expand on the reasons:

* iat had to be updated, because of a TODO for rebuilding a whole
series of packages, that was created by another TU/dev.
* The rebuild of iat did not work, because the upstream files were gone.
* A search for the missing files and a look at the homepage (that is
missing) gave no result (but someone later found the missing files on
a dumping ground for dead projects, congratulations).
* No other packages depends on iat, so when it did not build and when
the needed files were missing, the decision to remove it from
[community] was easy.
* The decision was also influenced by the fact that it is a dead
project (no updates to the files for five years, no webpage, very low
likelyhood of problems being fixed or looked at if reported).
* Being related to physical media and CD-ROM technology did not help
(but was not mentioned in the original list of reasons).

I agree that a program or package isn't bad just because it's old, but
there were other reasons at play here.

Other TUs/devs may have other lines of reasoning. If any of you think
I'm being unreasonable here, I can ask for feedback on the process
(and any TU/dev are free to move iat back to [community] if they
should wish to do so, at any time). Anyone can sumbit "iat" to AUR if
they feel people are missing out here.

--
Best regards,
  Alexander Rødseth / xyproto