[aur-general] Announcement Input

Thiago Barroso Perrotta thiagoperrotta95 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 00:42:02 EDT 2014

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:43:51 +0200
Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to have something like an announcement input for AUR
> packages. Just like comments, but the announcement should be editable
> by the maintainer only and shown at the top all the time. This could
> be handy for something like:
>
> > Currently this application does not remember passwords. This is
> > because gnome-keyring is broken.
> > (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/39913)
>
> Preventing users from complaining over and over again when comments
> move down. Or:
>
> > This is a git package. Most of the time it compiles fine with
> > $dependency. If it does not please try $dependency-git.
>
> Any comments?

I'm not sure about the usefulness of this feature, or even if AUR
packagers want it.

However, if this goes on a day, my suggestion is this input should be
an entry of .AURINFO. There is no need to clutter the web interface with
editable fields.

A typical packaging workflow would be:

$ mkaurball
$ <script/program to change announcement here> <path to src aurball
here> "Developer announcement / sticky post here".

This way, implementing this would be very easy, just a matter of
parsing the correct entry and displaying it appropriately.

--

- Thiago