[aur-general] Plan of moving python(2)-pandas to community

Andrzej Giniewicz gginiu at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 10:18:00 EDT 2014

Hi all,

just wanted to let you know about my plan of moving Pandas to community,
so they don't interfere with plans of other TUs or AUR maintainers.

Pandas is popular package (approximately 50 votes for bot python 2 and
python 3 version in AUR[1,2]) and is one of the basic packages for doing
science in Python, it is vital part of so called "SciPy Stack"[3] (and
actually last missing piece). I planned to do it lot earlier, but there
were some remaining issues that were fixed by 0.14.0 release - most
important finally official support for current release of Python 3.4[4].

Pandas has very few dependencies, but a lot of recommended and optional
dependencies, all of which provide important pieces of functionality, to
make the experience complete. That's why I will move in and maintain all
it's dependencies as well, unless someone has anything against it. This
includes:

- bottleneck library [5,6]
- statsmodels library [7,8]
- patsy library [9,10]
- set of libraries to read and write Excel files [11,12,13,14,15,16]

The order of moving those packages will be following:

- bottleneck because it is recommended dependency providing speed to
lots of operations
- libraries to deal with Excel, because it improves usability of library
and is direct dependency
- Pandas itself
- Patsy, because it is dependency of statsmodels
- statsmodels, because pandas is its dependency, and it is optdependency
of pandas - so it comes last
- Pandas again, but with statsmodels as optdepends and tests enabled

I hope to push one update every few days. I will let the related
packages settle in community for day or two and then push next ones,
staring on 4'th June, hopefully finish with those before 17'th - it
takes some time, mostly due to limited time I can spend of this
particular move.

Cheers,
Andrzej.

[1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python2-pandas/