[aur-general] AUR 3.0.0 released

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Sun Jun 1 11:20:32 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-01 10:15, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 10:10:35AM -0500, Doug Newgard wrote:
>> >
>> >The AUR is a repository for hosting PKGBUILDs for packages not in the
>> >repos. Do not conflate the purpose of the AUR with your use of it.
>>
>> For my use? Or for how nearly everyone uses it? Come on now, do you
>> really
>> believe that they main use of the AUR is to run unofficial repos?
>
> Consider the idea that the current use of the AUR is the way it is due
> to the long time lack of support for split packages. I tend to agree
> with Johannes here.

Even if split package support has been there from the beginning, how
would that have changed things? Would someone be building the entire AUR
or large parts of it and putting it into a repo? No matter what, the
main usage of the AUR is to build packages for your own use, and I don't
see how that will change now with split package support.