[aur-general] What's with F# and mono?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Mar 25 18:19:41 EDT 2014

I'm just starting to dip my toes in the mono waters.  Slightly
prompted by my current situation at work.  In particular I'm
interested in F#, but I'm finding the whole situation around
mono/monodevelop + F# a bit confusing.

1. There are indications online that mono ships with F# [^1][^2].  But
   the mono package in Arch doesn't include F#.  Looking at the
   sources used to build the mono package there is no F# in sight.
   Was it ever there?

2. The package on AUR[^3] for fsharp is rather outdated.  Not such a
   big problem, the building received a lot of TLC so the package is
   extremely simple to bring up-to-date.

3. Is there an F# add-in for monodevelop?  There seems to have been
   one back in 2010, but it's not distributed any more, [^4].
   However, other places say there is an add-in available, [^5]
   (however, downloading fails).

So, can anyone help me get a clearer picture of F# on mono (and
ArchLinux)?

/M

[^1]: http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Nov-11.html - talking of
plans to include F# in mono.

[^2]: http://is.gd/cNC5xb- - "F# is included in the standard Mono
release, but it's still missing from the MonoDevelop IDE."

[^3]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fsharp/

[^4]: http://is.gd/YndnsA- - bug on F# add-in missing, closed for MD
2.4, the last comment suggests it'd be re-opened

[^5]: http://is.gd/YndnsA- which links to
http://addins.monodevelop.com/Project/Index/48

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

The results point out the fragility of programmer expertise: advanced
programmers have strong expectations about what programs should look like,
and when those expectations are violated--in seemingly innocuous
ways--their performance drops drastically.
     -- Elliot Soloway and Kate Ehrlich