[aur-general] Remove python3-aur

xantares 09 xantares09 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 13:53:08 EDT 2014

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 12:59:08 +0000
> From: xyne at archlinux.ca
> To: aur-general at archlinux.org
> Subject: Re: [aur-general] Remove python3-aur
>
> xantares 09 wrote:
>
> >Sorry, here are the links:
> >https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python3-aur/
> >https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python-aur/
> >
> >> From: xantares09 at hotmail.com
> >> To: aur-general at archlinux.org; xyne at archlinux.ca
> >> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 09:22:17 +0000
> >> Subject: [aur-general] Remove python3-aur
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> python3-aur should be renamed to python-aur to follow arch packaging standards,
> >> I recreated and disowned a python-aur for xyne to adopt.
> >> Please remove the old pyhon3-aur.
>

> I have no intention of playing whack-a-mole with Python package names whenever
> Python gets around to the next major version bump even if that is years away.
> Each major version is incompatible with the previous ones and should therefore
> be treated as a separate language. Changing the names leads to transition
> periods of broken dependency graphs. Package names should be static and future
> proof. This makes it easier for everyone involved (developers, packagers,
> users).
>
> There are numerous python3-* packages that have peacefully existed in the AUR
> for years without issue. As I have so far been unable to convince others of the
> value of persistent naming, I prefer to leave things as they are.
>
> Regards,
> Xyne

I wouldn't go as far as qualifying python3 a different laguage. It may introduce api breakage, But it's possible to adapt the same codebase to be compatible with both versions.

They are some python3-* packages, yes, but they mostly belong to you :!

What do we do from here ? Remove python-aur :?

Regards,
xan.