[aur-general] Merge request: zfs to zfs-git

Jesus Alvarez jeezusjr at gmail.com
Wed May 7 00:11:11 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Nowaker <enwukaer at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Renaming" is just creating a new package and "merging" the old one into new
> one to transfer votes and comments. But you can't just do that, since
> zfs-dkms already exists in the repo. ;-)
>
> Having that in mind, zfs-modules-dkms is rendered useless and should be
> deleted, right? By the way, I just spotted yet another zfs dkms package, can
> you confirm this one should be deleted too? This looks like a fork of your
> package, "# Maintainer: Jesus Alvarez <jeezusjr at gmail dot com>" is in
> there...
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zfs-dkms-therp/
> + all zfs and spl packages from here
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=therp&SeB=m
>
> Regarding the existing zfs-dkms, you take over the package after you contact
> a maintainer and the maintainer doesn't respond in 2 weeks (or just agrees
> and disowns). I'd strongly encourage you to do so because it would be good
> to have zfs packages clean and usable in AUR. :) There are really too much
> results for `yaourt -Ss zfs`, most of which are unusable.
>

> --
> Kind regards,
> Damian Nowak
> StratusHost
> www.AtlasHost.eu

Hello, sorry for the late response. It's been a busy week. I have sent
a message to the maintainer of the zfs-dkms package asking him to
disown the package. We'll see if he responds. And you are correct,
zfs-dkms-therp would be replaced by the dkms package that I will
maintain.

Should we ask the maintainer of zfs-dkms-therp to disown his zfs packages?

It doesn't seem like anyone uses zfs-dkms-therp because it should
definitely be flagged out of date; there is no way it could build with
the current kernel.

Also, the names for the packages I suggested earlier are incorrect,
they should really be:

zfs-git-dkms
zfs-utils-git-dkms
spl-git-dkms
spl-utils-git-dkms

and

zfs-lts-dkms
zfs-utils-lts-dkms
spl-lts-dkms
spl-utils-lts-dkms

Since these are not currently in AUR, I will upload them myself once I
get the PKGBUILDS working.

Thanks,
Jesus A.