[aur-general] Delete requests for obsolete XWayland packages

Tim Jester-Pfadt t.jp at gmx.de
Wed May 28 13:20:59 EDT 2014

Hello,

now that XWayland changed to being it's own server binary, rather than a
module for X11, there are several obsolete drivers on the AUR which only
create confusion.[1][2][3] The new XWayland doesn't need patched drivers
anymore.

"In the old model, things like modesetting were done in the video driver,
unfortunately. In the old model, we simply patched Xorg with a special
magical mode to tell video drivers not to do anything too tricky. For
instance, the xf86-video-intel driver had a special branch for Xwayland
support<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/log/?h=xwayland>.
For generic hardware support, we wrote a generic, unaccelerated
driver<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-wayland>
that
stubbed out most of the functions we needed. With the new approach, we
don’t need to patch anything at all." [4]

There is also an orphaned build of the development X server, which tries to
build the old deprecated XWayland approach. [5] You can see this, because
it has --enable-wayland instead of the new --enable-xwayland.
Another build is a duplicated of the defacto standard xwayland package
(xwayland-git) the difference is that it not only builds XWayland, but also
the whole X11 server from the development branch even though this is not
needed.[6] People could just use the xorg-server-dev and install
xwayland-git and get the same thing.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-video-ati-xwayland-git/ -
Orphaned
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-video-intel-xwayland-git/ -