[aur-general] Delete requests for obsolete XWayland packages

Tim Jester-Pfadt t.jp at gmx.de
Wed May 28 15:47:41 EDT 2014

Hi,

I think there might be a confusion regarding package [6].

For our regular desktops we need the XOrg server which comes as a binary in
/usr/bin/Xorg provided by the xorg-server package in [extra]. You get this
by setting --enable-xorg at compile time. Now for XWayland we have our own
binary which is completely independet called /usr/bin/Xwayland. You get
this binary by setting --enable-xwayland. You can have this as a standalone
server by doing --disable-xorg --enable-xwayland, which then only builds
XWayland. This is what the xwayland-git package does and therefore doesn't
replace your X server and is a safe way to try out XWayland. You don't have
two X servers afterwards.

Package [6] does both it compiles the developer Xorg binary and the
development Xwayland binary, but if you want to try Xwayland you only need
the last one. If you want the latest Xorg (which actually gets used by KDE
et al.) you can use xorg-server-git, which only builds Xorg but not
Xwayland.  So there is no real need for a package that builds both.

Regards,

Tim