[aur-general] Upload package blacklist, maybe upcoming merge request

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:55:01 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Stefan Husmann
<stefan-husmann at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think that the package openjade1.3 [1] in AUR is badly named, and so
> wanted to upload
> an openjade PKGBUILD. But doing so burp (from git) told me this:
>
>> error: failed to upload openjade-1.3.2-2.src.tar.gz: openjade is on the
>> package >blacklist, please check if it's available in the official
>> repos.
>

> (with this strange apostrophe).
>
> So I want to ask, if there is such a blacklist, and why openjade is on it. I
> know that there is a package jade in the repos, but that is not entirely the
> same as openjade.
>
> Should openjade1.3 be removed? Or merged into openjade?
>

> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openjade1.3/

I think the problem is because a package in official repository has
replaces=('openjade'). Someone brought up this problem with a
different package a few years ago, too and IIRC it was because of the
exactly same reason.

It is questionable whether the "replaces" should be used to generate
blacklist, because someone may still want to upload the older package
(as with openjade). OTOH it would get replaced by the official package
on the next upgrade unless the package is ignored.

I think the best solution would be to omit "replaces" from being used
for blacklisting and then merge openjade1.3 to openjade.