[aur-general] AUR Comment for customizepkg-ald

Daniel Albers daniel at lbe.rs
Tue Nov 25 22:13:53 UTC 2014

[ Copying aur-general for other opnions and get clarification on AUR
rules out there ]

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for maintaining AUR and keeping the Arch ecosystem healthy. Some
honest questions/comments regarding the deletion of the AUR package
customizepkg-ald:

The package was a patched version of customizepkg.
There are thousands of AUR packages that are variants of other packages
and I can't see any problem with that. In my understanding that's part
of what AUR is for. Is it not?

It's been customary for AUR deletions, orphanings etc. to have a two
weeks grace period. Should that not also apply to TUs?

The .tar.gz that you mentioned that violated the "no binaries on AUR"
rule contained nothing but ASCII files (as does customizepk¹). If I
unzip the tarball and re-upload it, does that not violate the rule? What
if I also untar it and upload each text file individually?

Cheers, Daniel

¹ https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/customizepkg/