[aur-general] package review

Jeremy Audet ichimonji10 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 17:37:14 UTC 2014

> Just a small correction: test() is no default function, the function you
> should use is check()

Thank you.

>> I wonder why you have a test program but don't use it in the test()
>> function of your PKGBUILD?
>
> Pure ignorance. :/ This is a great idea, and I'll put it on my to-do list.

It looks like the `check` function won't fit my needs, actually. "test.c"
prints the currently installed libgroove version. "test.c" is valuable
because:

* It serves as a sanity check to ensure that libgroove functions on a basic
level.
* It allows me to check that libgroove and pkg-config advertise the same
version number. (See the default rule in "makefile".)

Unfortunately, neither of these checks can be performed until after the
package has been installed. Now, I could do something clever with
post_{install,upgrade}, but that feels like an abuse of pacman. (And
anyway, the package installation isn't aborted if post_{install,upgrade}
fails.) My best course of action seems to be keeping the status quo; I can
use "test.c" and the associated makefile as a personal sanity check before
uploading each new version of the package to the AUR.

> you should contact upstream about including it before adding it as a
downstream change.

https://github.com/andrewrk/libgroove/pull/79

— Jeremy "Ichimonji10" Audet