[aur-general] Categories

lolilolicon lolilolicon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 06:07:59 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera <hugo at barrera.io> wrote:
> This is really inconsistent with all of the other package variables, so I'd
> just like to propose we move this from merely being AUR metadata to the
> PKGBUILDS themselves, adding a "category" variable to them, eg:
>
>   category="games"

How about tags=(awesome cool game)? </sarcasm>

I don't think this sort of thing belongs in the package metadata.
For one thing, categories are arbitrary. For another, no upstream is
defining a category for their software.

We have package groups in pacman which is quite different from what
you're proposing, and packages are added to the same group only if it
makes complete sense.