[aur-general] Categories

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Thu Sep 4 22:51:26 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-04 14:07, lolilolicon wrote:

> How about tags=(awesome cool game)? </sarcasm>

Well, my goal is to sometime be able to search installed packages quickly.

I have installed some games of which I can't recall their names, and there's
really no quick way to search for them in pacman - that was my main motivation
for more metadata, especially since we already have categories.

On 2014-09-04 16:57, Jeremy Audet wrote:
> What happens if something really belongs in two categories? In that case,
> one should use a tagging mechanism instead of a categorization mechanism.

Agreed. Like minecraft-server, which is a game and a daemon, just to name one.

As-is, I don't think categories add much value or are worth keeping, if they
can be parsed by pacman somehow, they would add some use. Otherwise, I'm ok
with deleting them.

> > On the other hand, I think we should remove category because only a
> > few packages actually use correct category. It is almost useless.
>
> +1
>
> — Jeremy "Ichimonji10" Audet

Cheers,

--