[aur-general] Categories

kachelaqa kachelaqa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 18:18:12 UTC 2014

On 05/09/14 18:42, Nowaker wrote:
>>      "pacman -Q --category=games" => pacman -Qs game
>
> pacman -Ss game | grep -i openttd | wc -l
> 0
> ;-)

Well sure. But I said it was never going to be as accurate as filtering
by a specific category, so it will be easy to come up with any number of
false positives/negatives.

> Anyway, totally agree categories are bad. Tags on the other hand are
> cool. I'd really enjoy searching by tags. Description isn't a good place
> for listing all the features or use cases. Consider this:
>
> pacman -Ssx libvirt  => show both libvirt, qemu, virt-manager, virtkick
> and opennebula
>
> pacman -Ssx storage  => show bacula, dropbox, owncloud (even the
> webapp), glusterfs, ceph, zfs etc.

Tags would be no better or worse than categories or descriptions (or any
other equivalent scheme). Like I said: the elephant in the room is the
huge cost of categorization/tagging (or whatever). Without accurate
meta-data, no prospective scheme is going to be any better than the
current solution of simply searching for keywords in descriptions. (If a
keyword can be missing from the description, it can just as easily be
missing from the tags/categories).