[aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload

stef stef_204 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 6 10:06:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am fairly new to Arch in general--switched to it a few months ago--and a newbie at PKGBUILD and maintaining packages on AUR.
So please bear with me.

I am looking to write my first PKGBUILD to upload to AUR, for a small program written in Python (hashing tools).

The program has 3 components:

1) the main script which is CLI (available for python2 and/or python3)
2) a GTK+ GUI (optional) for python2
3)  the GTK+ GUI (optional) for python3

I use the GTK+GUI for python3 on my box but perhaps some users might want (or have to) use python2.

Question 1):

The program is small (approx 250kb only) and my tendency would be to just do the one package with all 3 components which users will then use as they see fit, CLI only or GUI, etc.  This would allow me to maintain only one package for this program.

Is only one package OK with the AUR community?

Question 2)
The program does not have an install file but comes as a dir structure as such:

Top Level dir: program/
-rw-r--r-- 1 stef_204 users    39 Jun  8  2012 AUTHORS
-rw-r--r-- 1 stef_204 users 35147 Jun  8  2012 COPYING
drwxr-xr-x 2 stef_204 users  4096 Jul 15  2012 data
drwxr-xr-x 2 stef_204 users  4096 Aug 15 00:15 python2
drwxr-xr-x 2 stef_204 users  4096 Aug 15 12:00 python3
-rw-r--r-- 1 stef_204 users  2421 Jul 17  2012 README

python2/ and python3/ each contain 2 files, the script and the GUI launcher for their respective version.

I just basically downloaded the source tarball, extracted it to /opt and am running it from there.

My idea is to achieve the same with PKGBUILD, following proper protocol, etc.

Is "installing" (extracting dir structure) to /opt a problem?

Once I finish writing script, I will check it with Namcap and post it here for review.

Thanks for your comments on Questions 1) and 2) above.