[aur-general] Java name guideliness

Justin Dray justin at dray.be
Wed Sep 10 03:08:27 UTC 2014

Part of the issue here however is that now there are both jre7 and
jre7-oracle and so on duplicate packages in the AUR. If someone says 'oh, i
need oracle jdk, I can search on the AUR for that.' Well now they have to
go and read all of the comments and look around on the wiki/mailing
lists/forums to figure out which one they actually want. And it's not even
a dispute between different maintainers, 'joschi' is the maintainer for
both packages and are seemingly totally different; different groups,
different upstream urls, different dependencies, different
provides/conflicts. It also appears that jre8-oracle was merged in to jre
package recently, so there is another discrepancy in the naming there.

I'm not fussed one way or another on the naming, but by having both, I've
really got to agree with Pablo; it's far from KISS.

Regards,
Justin Dray
E: justin at dray.be
M: 0433348284