[aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload

Nuno Araujo nuno.araujo at russo79.com
Wed Sep 10 16:46:17 UTC 2014

On mer, 2014-09-10 at 08:58 -0700, stef wrote:

> Nuno, sorry but I'm lost here.  To me a "split package" is 2 separate packages, one for the CLI and another one for the GUI.  The GUI will only include the GUI itself (GTK+) obviously and not the actual program which will be listed as a dependency.
>
> So, does that not imply 2 separate PKGBUILD's and 2 separate packages? One for CLI and one for GUI?

No, for quite some time now now create multiple packages from a single
PKGBUILD. Take a look at [1] for an example of a single PKGBUILD that
creates a package both for python2 and python3 for instance.
Another a bit more complex example can be found at [2].

> Sorry but I'm obviously missing something.  I looked at wiki AUR packaging standard but not finding what you are referring to.  You are referring to a single PKGBUILD.
>
> Can you please explain or refer me to proper wiki section?

As for documenting split packages, just take a look at the PKGBUILD man
page [3]. :)

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/py/python-pyside/PKGBUILD
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ap/apparmor/PKGBUILD
[3] https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/PKGBUILD.5.html#_package_splitting