[aur-general] NodeJS build dependencies

4javier 4javiereg4 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:56:52 UTC 2014

I'm the maintainer of "brackets" package on AUR. It's a code editor written
in javascript upon NodeJS library. Nodejs package from community repo ships
"npm", a command-line tool to manage nodejs packages. To satisfy nodejs
dependency for my package, should I use npm inside build() function in my
PKGBUILD (solution that I prefer and now I'm using), or should I create an
AUR tarball for every dpendency, and add all those ones inside depends()
array?

I want to point out that this is the list of *build *dependencies for
brackets

        "grunt": "0.4.1",
        "jasmine-node": "1.11.0",
        "grunt-jasmine-node": "0.1.0",
        "grunt-cli": "0.1.9",
        "phantomjs": "1.9.0-1",
        "grunt-lib-phantomjs": "0.3.0",
        "grunt-contrib-jshint": "0.6.0",
        "grunt-contrib-watch": "0.4.3",
        "grunt-contrib-jasmine": "0.4.2",
        "grunt-template-jasmine-requirejs": "0.1.0",
        "grunt-contrib-cssmin": "0.6.0",
        "grunt-contrib-clean": "0.4.1",
        "grunt-contrib-copy": "0.4.1",
        "grunt-contrib-htmlmin": "0.1.3",
        "grunt-contrib-less": "0.8.2",
        "grunt-contrib-requirejs": "0.4.1",
        "grunt-contrib-uglify": "0.2.0",
        "grunt-contrib-concat": "0.3.0",
        "grunt-targethtml": "0.2.6",
        "grunt-usemin": "0.1.11",
        "load-grunt-tasks": "0.2.0",
        "jshint": "2.1.4",
        "xmldoc": "^0.1.2"

You could imagine how frustrating would be for me to maintain all this AUR
tarball, and for an user to keep them updated without using an AUR helper
(that I don't like).