[aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 24 09:15:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 19:22 +1200, David Phillips wrote:
> >A repository for "any" doesn't make sense.
>
> It would mean that there's not the potential for duplication between
> the various architectures' repos.

David,

OTOH this would mean that we would go one step away from the KISS
principle.

If somebody has got a 32-bit install, the 32-bit architecture
repositories should be what is needed.
If somebody has got a 64-bit install, the 64-bit architecture
repositories should be what is needed (and perhaps multilib too).

Just an additional "any" repository alone wouldn't kill the KISS
principle, but it easily could become an endless chain of
pseudo-efficiency. Why not separating headers and libs from the bin
packages, as e.g. Debian does? This is just a rhetorical question ;).

Regards,
Ralf