[aur-general] Strange behavior : yaourt fail but makepkg success

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 23:11:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM, <runical_ml at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>

> Can you provide the output in english? I'm sure there are people who
> speak french (or whichever language that is) here, but english is a bit
> easier.
>
> As far as I can guess now, it might be that yaourt runs out of space.
> Yaourt builds in memory by default while makepkg builds at the location
> the command was issued. Try changing the build dir for yaourt or add
> some swap space.
>
> With kind regards,
> runical

I second the idea of providing English output. The official bug reporting
guidelines say the same thing...

But I will hazard a guess that it is the same error as the one reported in
the package comments on Oct. 1, 2014:

ar: ../../..//tmp/yaourt-tmp-alex/aur-flite/lib/libflite.shared.a: No such
file or directory
../../config/common_make_rules:116: recipe for target
'/tmp/yaourt-tmp-alex/aur-flite/obj/src/audio/.build_so' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/yaourt-tmp-alex/aur-flite/obj/src/audio/.build_so] Error
1

And might I mention that is one weird filepath.

Aha! /usr/lib/yaourt/pkgbuild.sh *exports* the variable BUILDDIR (to give
it to makepkg), which is driving the flite makefiles batty (they use that
variable). I am unsure why yaourt needs to do that, as makepkg should be
quite capable of handling it already... is yaourt just prioritizing the
system makepkg.conf? If so, why -- isn't that downright counterintuitive???

Try this:
cd /tmp
yaourt -G flite
cd flite
export BUILDDIR=/tmp/makepkg
makepkg

Same failure. Likewise if you try the old `./confgure; make; make install`
route with that variable exported.

-- Eli Schwartz