[aur-general] aurweb 4.0.0 released

Chris Bell cwbell at narmos.org
Tue Aug 11 00:04:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-10 19:07, Damian Nowak wrote:
>> Well, if you need in the future, perhaps you will create a new
>> PKGBUILD
>> then? Relying in unmaintained packaged will most likely give you
>> trouble.
>
> I can't agree with that. If I search for something next time and it's
> not in AUR4, I'd go
> to AUR3, get the old PKGBUILD, update it, make sure it works, and then
> upload to AUR4 so
> others can use it too. Better than writing from scratch.

I agree with this. In fact, this is how I recently 'rescued' a couple
orphaned packages from aur3 before it went offline. I was very grateful
to have a working PKGBUILD to start from. In one case, it wasn't up to
date, but at least I had something to start from.

With that in mind, I think a static, read-only copy of the latest state
of AUR3 would be a valuable resource, at least for a while. It doesn't
_have_ to be permanent, does it? Maybe keep it around for a year or
two?

-- Chris