[aur-general] Deletion of orphaned packages on AUR4

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Tue Aug 11 12:08:29 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 07:36:53AM +0000, Justin Dray wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:09 Antonio Rojas <arojas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Rob McCathie <korrode at gmail.com>
> >  Wrote in message:
> >

> > > Just a query: Why were packages i added to AUR4, ensured were in good
> > > working order (and made an enhancement to one of the packages compared
> > > to the last release on AUR3), know are used by at least some users,
> > > and then orphaned so some other interested party can take over
> > > maintenance, were deleted from AUR4?
> > >
> > > compiz-gtk-standalone was actually the ONLY package on AUR4 that
> > > provided the Compiz 0.8 series core component.
> > > Since it's deletion there is now at least one package on AUR4 that has
> > > unresolvable dependencies.
> > > (eg. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ccsm/ )
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Rob McCathie
> > >

> > I was wondering the same thing... Many of the kde-applications git
> >  packages that I uploaded to AUR4 and then disowned ( but were
> >  working fine) have been deleted, and I can't find any related
> >  request.
> > --
> >
> I also disowned an LSI raid card utility a few days ago, and it got deleted
> within 2 hours. What's going on with this?
>
> - Justin
I guess you should either be responsible for a package or not upload one at all.
AUR3 was full of really bad orphaned packages.
In AUR4 you can add co-maintainers or even publish your repos to some service as github and accept
pull requests.
I personally don't see any reason behind uploading a package and then immediately disowning it.