[aur-general] Deletion of orphaned packages on AUR4

David Kaylor dpkaylor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:12:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Bruno Pagani <bruno.pagani at ens-lyon.org>
wrote:

> Well, the first email states Kyrias did this…
>
> Le 11 août 2015 10:15:42 GMT+02:00, David Phillips <dbphillipsnz at gmail.com>
> a écrit :
> >A certain TU went around deleting orphaned stuff… won't name them
> >though ;-)

Don't know what the motivation is behind this particular TU (or any others)
prowling around looking for orphans to delete, but there are two key
issues, I think:

-  First, the move to aurweb4 was technically about maintainability and
modernization of the AUR. But a big side benefit was the "thinning of the
herd" (my words alone) that would take place, in terms of lackluster
maintainership. A key TU behind the AUR4 redesign admitted as much in an
earlier reply to me, @ 2 months ago. He disapproved of the "thinning of the
herd" analogy for some reason, but that was clearly what he meant. There
were to many orphans, and to many no-show maintainers. Probably still are.

-  Second, uploading something to AUR4 then immediately orphaning it is
stupid. Why not just hold onto it for a while and look for co-maintainers,
or a new maintainer? By orphaning, you just became the "thinned" part of
the herd.