[aur-general] Deletion of orphaned packages on AUR4

Justin Dray justin at dray.be
Wed Aug 12 00:42:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:24 David Phillips <dbphillipsnz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose some may subscribe to the view that if someone wants it
> badly enough, they'll submit, maintain and stick with it.

In my case, I uploaded a perfectly working package for LSI raid
controllers, but someone commented that a newer version was available, I no
longer use any LSI controllers and can't test that it is working correctly
with the new version, I said as such, and orphaned the package only for it
to be deleted within a couple hours.

If orphaned packages are going to be deleted straight away I would have
hung on to it. But then what is the point of their being an orphan button?
There's already a delete one. It's seems really poor form to be just
deleting any random orphaned packages off the AUR. Perhaps TUs that are
doing this should no longer be TUs since they are clearly abusing that
privilege to do things however they want instead of within the guidelines
set by the community.

- Justin