[aur-general] Deletion of orphaned packages on AUR4

Justin Dray justin at dray.be
Wed Aug 12 05:51:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 at 15:37 Rob McCathie <korrode at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/08/15 13:49, Doug Newgard wrote:
> > In my case, I have some that I'm actively trying to get maintainers
> > for; in the mean time, I'm looking after them even though they are
> > listed as being orphaned. Is this not to be allowed now? Should all
> > "orphan" packages in the official repos be deleted, just assume nobody
> > is looking after them? I updated one package just a few days before it
> > was randomly deleted. There's other stories further up in this thread
> > about them being deleted after only a few hours, all with no notice.
> > If a time limit is to be implemented, it needs to be limit long enough
> > that the package is both unlikely to be being used and unlikely to
> > work anymore. A month or two wouldn't cut it. A notice should also be
> > sent out to anyone set to get notifications for that package with
> > enough lead time for someone to pick it up. Doug
>
> Same here. I was still monitoring the couple of packages i'd orphaned, i
> was hoping someone would take over maintenance. For a time at least, i'd
> have addressed any issues with them.
>
> Anyways, i've re-added the packages and will stay maintainer of them
> until things settle down a bit.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Rob McCathie

I've had to do the same thing. The problem is, if it isn't orphaned, and
you try to update it when you get a chance it is hard to find a new
maintainer. I've never seen someone ask for maintainership of a maintained
and up-to-date package before. From the reports I'm seeing as well it's a
single TU deleting them all.

- Justin