[aur-general] AUR repos and git subtrees

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 19:09:28 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Eli Schwartz <eschwartz93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just attempted to update fanficfare{,-git} and I cannot push the
> changes because they are a non-fast-forward.
>
> I cannot be 100% sure because I don't have local clones, I have been
> splitting off subtrees as needed (see my setup at
> https://github.com/eli-schwartz/pkgbuilds) but this is supposed to be
> 100% guaranteed to create the same sha1 hash. However, it appears that the
> AUR repos are now out of sync. Same content and everything.
>
> Am I supposed to believe that those packages -- and a bunch more (but not
> all...) of mine -- had their repos randomly and sneakily rewritten??? Or
> that git subtrees are simply unreliable???
> Neither seems very likely.
>

> This was working perfectly at least until July 20 (the last time I updated
> anything).
>
> -- Eli Schwartz

So, comparing my subtree split of fanficfare I get a root commit at:
69c3f0eec7fe3ce2983dec09b5dcba5a02d9169c
In the AUR, the root commit is:
3c5d51989c6d14feea568ba6627dd9e5e7492f67

git diff them, they're identical trees.
The commit messages are the same, the author and commit info are identical.

How is that even possible???

-- Eli Schwartz