[aur-general] VCS guidelines for svn-packages

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 00:34:45 UTC 2015

Hi

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Stefan Husmann
<stefan-husmann at t-online.de> wrote:

> Am 01.01.2015 um 00:59 schrieb Karol Blazewicz:
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Stefan Husmann
>> <stefan-husmann at t-online.de> wrote:
>>> I know of at least two PKGBUILDs in AUR where the new makepkg puts an "M" behind the pkgver
>>> after last pacman upgrade. Is ther any advice how to handle this?
>>
>> How exactly are the pkgver created? Which PKGBUILDs are you talking about?
>>

> Hello,
>
> sorry for the noise. I just encountered that they both use
>
> pkgver() {
>   cd "$srcdir/ccl"
>   svnversion
> }
>
> which was a version formerly recommended in the Wiki.
>
> With
>
> pkgver() {
>   cd "$srcdir/ccl"
>   local ver="$(svnversion)"
>   printf "%s" "${ver//[[:alpha:]]}"

I would like to point to importance of using revision number delimiter
(by convention we use letter "r"). This delimiter allows avoid
problems in case if upstream decides to make first release or uses
versions with different number of components.

e.g. if at revision "455" upstream decides to release version 0.1 then
the revision delimiter preserves version monotonicity:
0.1.r456 > r454
without delimiter monotonicity fails:
0.1.456 < 454

This is true for other VCS as well.