[aur-general] Packaging releases from git.kernel.org

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Fri Jan 30 16:05:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 at 16:50:13, Troy Engel wrote:
> I struggled a bit to package a tagged stable release from
> git.kernel.org to complement the -git package, finally figured out a
> method that's simple[1] but hidden from the cgit webUI; wanted to add
> to the wiki as a FAQ/tip for others. Would this be the right page?
>
>  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

I don't think so. A quick search didn't bring up a page that contains
general packaging tips and I am not sure whether it is worthwhile to add
such a page including tips similar to what you suggested. It might
become cluttered with dozens of tips soon. Opinions?

By the way, is there any reason for not using Git tags to specify the
snapshot tarball? Something along the lines of

    source=("http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git/snapshot/trace-cmd-v${pkgver}.tar.gz")

Otherwise, you need to look up the commit on every pkgver bump.