[aur-general] Fields like 'GitRepoPath' in AUR RPC results

Sascha Shaw sascha.shaw at mail.de
Mon Jul 27 20:56:13 UTC 2015

Am 27. Juli 2015 12:04:42 MESZ, schrieb "Johannes Löthberg" <johannes at kyriasis.com>:
>On 27/07, Sascha Shaw wrote:
>>Am 27. Juli 2015 01:13:13 MESZ, schrieb "Johannes Löthberg"
><johannes at kyriasis.com>:
>>>
>>>Lukas was against adding a field for it, so yes.
>>
>>I don't understand the purpose of this field. It contains no
>>information. You already know the package name, the aur URL and the
>>fact, that they all end with .git. Is this just in case the AUR starts
>
>>working differently over night?
>
>There are two usecases:
>
>1) The git URLs change on the Arch AUR instance in the future, and thus
>
>everything has to be changed to use the new one. Not that big of a
>deal,
>but still eh.
>
>2) It will be more work to get AUR helpers to work for other AUR
>instances. With the field you would only need a config option for the
>RPC interface, and then you'd get everything from it.

Thank you for the insight. We have to consider server load, traffic and another feature more or less to maintain on the server side against convenience on the client side. The traffic impact per call would be around a 10 percent gain or more, depending on the length of the name. However, the same could be said about URLPath, it also has only static information that does not change between packages and could be implemented client side.

Now I wonder what's the reason for keeping one and not adding the other, besides the fact that it has not been implemented at all.