[aur-general] AUR4, git, subtrees ELI5?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 18:36:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:04 AM, David Kaylor <dpkaylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about a simpleton who has never pushed, pulled, or committed at all? I
> maintain only two packages, both very simplistic, and not updated upstream
> very often. So a git repository of my PKGBUILDS was not something I thought
> was necessary. As a network admin, SSH is certainly nothing new. Git, not
> so much. I'm not a developer. My only real exposure has been news of its
> creation (I remember the first news of Linus's disgust with the Bitkeeper
> changes), its emergence as THE solution to distributed revision control,
> and the Bup backup tool (because I regularly backup large VM images and
> like the block-level data deplucation advantages.) At this point, enough
> info is available that I know what needs to be done. But it would have been
> nice if the initial announcements didn't assume that all maintainers, or
> even most, used Git in their workflow.

IIRC there was some discussion about this originally, and someone suggested
that maintainers might even decide to stop maintaining.

The suggestion was made that perhaps a tarball upload could be added which
would create automatic commits to the git repository. Hopefully, something
like that could be added, it would allow people who don't want to deal with
the added complexity to continue on as though nothing had ever happened.

-- Eli Schwartz