[aur-general] How the "Popularity" value is being calculated for a package in the AUR4?

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 12 08:01:27 UTC 2015

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 at 09:43:00, G. Schlisio wrote:
> > Lukas on aur-dev: "Popularity is the sum of all votes with each vote
> > being weighted with a factor of 0.98 per day since its creation."
>
> thats quite a fast wear-off, i think.
> after a year, there is virtually nothing left (6e-4 only).
> does this really meet the intention?

Yes. The main purpose of the popularity field is to give very popular
newcomers a chance to appear on the front page. Also, we don't care
about packages that were very popular a year ago and are no longer used
today. If a package is still interesting, it will continuously receive
new votes such as is the case with yaourt.

Regards,
Lukas