[aur-general] My AUR4 migration workflow

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 19:18:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 3:37 AM, Johannes Dewender <arch at jonnyjd.net> wrote:

> I actually didn't know that and it does sound very weird.
> If the next commit is not based on the previous commit
> this can potentially "revert" the change made in the previous commit.
> Although it is difficult to construct a case where this is a problem.
> (like checking if the commit is the root and only making the change in
> that case)
>
> Thanks for the tests and information.
> I didn't test this myself, but I was sure just running mksrcinfo works
> as expected and I was afraid that checking for the file can be *very*
> wrong. And like mentioned, I was pretty sure filter-branch had to work
> like I imagined.
>
> Like Eli said: There is also no need for the test.
> mksrcinfo is fairly lightweight (only getting info from PKGBUILD) and
> doesn't build the whole package or similar.
> (which is probably the other fear that makes people test for .SRCINFO
> before creating it)
>
> --
> JonnyJD

Well, filter-branch is meant to be a scalpel. It's easy enough to change
things for all commits, and it's easy also to add something in just one
commit -- in case anyone ever needs to do that. So why not let people? It
is a powerful tool, not to be confused with rebase.

Rebase is probably more your friend. ;)

-- Eli Schwartz